- Why Muscoda, Wisconsin?
There are so many beautiful places in the USA to go hovercrafting, but Muscoda is a proven winner! For nearly 20 years, Muscoda has hosted many smaller (and successful!) hovercraft cruising events. The Wisconsin River is shallow and full of sandbars, making it perfect for hovercraft operation. The Village of Muscoda is very excited to host and support our event and show just how kind and hospitable people are in the heartland.
- What is the closest airport with airline service?
Madison, Wisconsin (airport code MSN) is the closest city offering commercial airline service. The airport is 65 miles East of Muscoda.
- Is the event site large enough to accommodate all of the hovercrafts and people?
Yes! The campsite is on one side of the boat ramp, and a Victora Park is on the other. We have permission to use it all. We may ask that you park your hovercraft trailer remotely to save space though.
- Is there a limit to the number of hovercraft attending?
No- there will be plenty of space for all who wish to attend.
- What is the weather like in Wisconsin at this time of the year?
It is generally quite warm and humid during the day, and cooler in the evening. It is NOT uncommon to have strong thunderstorms roll through the area at this time of year.
- Why was July 18-22, 2018 selected for this event?
This date was selected to maximize the potential for attendance since it falls in the middle of Summer break for students in most countries. It is also just prior to the worlds largest airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin called AirVenture, a truly amazing experience. If you have an interest in anything that flies, then you may wish to plan to attend both events if possible.
- How deep is the Wisconsin River?
Normal summertime depths average less than 24 inches, but there are deeper local areas that are great for swimming or fishing! Weather and the upstream dam can affect the river depth. River conditions can be monitored at this website: USGS Wisconsin River at Muscoda, WI
Coming from Overseas
- What is the closest international airport?
Chicago, Illinois (airport code ORD) is the closest (and most economical) international gateway. The airport is approximately 200 miles South East of Muscoda (3.5 hour drive).
- Can I ship my hovercraft directly to the event location from overseas?
Yes- coordinate all shipping with Terry Chapman (firstname.lastname@example.org)"
- How will the hovercrafts be unloaded from the container?
The answer will depend on if the container is removed from the truck (lorrie) trailer and placed on the ground or not. If the container is placed on the ground, the hovercrafts can be removed by hand or under power. If the container remains elevated on the trailer, we may need to obtain a forklift.
- Is Muscoda safe?
Yes! Muscoda is a quiet village in rural USA.
- Do I camp or stay in a hotel?
This is based on personal preference. But be advised: there are VERY few motels/ hotels within 15 miles of Muscoda and bookings will be swift. The vast majority of participants will camp.
- Can I rent a motorhome and drive to Muscoda?
Yes. Motorhome rentals are available in Madison, Wisconsin or Chicago, Illinois. Watch for updates to this page for special deals that may be coming for us.
- I am not in the USA. Who is my USA point of contact for this event?
Please use Terry Chapman (email@example.com) as your international liaison to this event.
- Will there be any hovercrafts available to rent?
This is probably the most frequently asked question from our overseas friends. The answer is: probably not. The closest USA manufacturer/ distributor of “rentable” hovercrafts is a 7 hour drive from the event location, so simply transporting rental craft would be a logistical and financial challenge. But fear not! An alternative exists! Many of the cruising hovercraft in the USA are quite large and carry multiple passengers. We anticipate many large recreational hovercrafts to attend this event, and we know that the owners would be very pleased to offer rides and share experiences with visitors that can not bring their own hovercraft. This is an opportunity to make new friends and share hovering knowledge. We are confident that rides will be available to those interested.
- Will the Hoverclub of America be able to help pay the costs of overseas containers?
Unfortunately, not at this time. Watch for updates to this page in case we find a sponsor or if one of our members wins the lotto!
- Are there any government regulations about operating a foreign watercraft (hovercraft) within the USA?
We will check on this once interest is expressed from overseas friends that are interested in shipping hovercrafts to the USA for this event. Watch for updates to this page for this issue.
- Do I need to attend all days?
No, but the event will peak (most activities; most participants) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, July 20 - 22.
- Can I bring a partially completed hovercraft to display?
Yes! In fact, we encourage it! It is always great to see the details of a craft under construction.
- What kind of activities are being planned?
General hovercraft operation on all days, short and long cruises both upriver and downriver, a beach party on a sandy island, a banquet, tech talks, a scavenger hunt, geocaching, quiet competition, technical innovation competition, workmanship competition, and more!
- Any special attractions/ people coming that I would be interested in knowing about?
Yes! And the list is growing. Tentatively planned are:
- Mike Kiester and his self-designed 32 foot cruiser.
- Hovercraft designer Dean Pollee and his beautiful self designed UH/ Sev 17ft cruiser.
- Tony Drake- President of the World Hovercraft Federation
Watch for updates to this page for additions to this list.
- What if my hovercraft breaks down out on the River?
No problem. We will have designated rescue hovercrafts available if needed.
- Will there be any hovercraft racing at this event?
No- this event will feature cruising and general operation only.
- Will we have to share the river with anyone?
Yes- canoeists and fishermen use the river too, particularly on the weekend. We need to give them both a wide berth.
- Is fuel available?
Yes- fuel is available in Muscoda.